The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother
Listed Below are five things to know about The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother. Number five is my favourite, what’s yours’?
When we read the story of the prodigal son in Luke chapter fifteen verses eleven to thirty-two, we are quick to draw conclusions without reading between the lines.
To begin with, let me quickly summarize the story of the Prodigal son.
The youngest son told his father to give him his portion of inheritance. His father shared his wealth between his two sons. After receiving his portion of the inheritance, he went to a far country and lived a riotous life. Having squandered all his inheritance in that land, and experienced firsthand hardship and lack, he came to himself and decided to return to his father. He didn’t even mind if his father would treat him like one of the servants (this shows that the servants where well treated). His father seeing him from afar, ran, hugged him, forgave him, welcomed him and celebrated his return.
The prodigal son is not our focus for today. Our focus is on ‘The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother’.
Things to know about The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother
- For the father to divide his wealth and give a portion of it to his younger son, then, we can conclude that the remaining portion of the wealth belonged to The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother.
- Also, having divided his wealth, the father lived on the wealth of The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother. That was why, in the book of Luke chapter fifteen verse thirty-one, their father told his eldest son that, all that he had belonged to him (The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother). This is because technically the father had nothing after sharing his wealth between his two children.
- The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother lived and served as a servant in his own house. He obviously didn’t know what he owned. That was why he was angry at his father for throwing a party to celebrate his younger brother’s return. He was furious that his father had never given him a kid to make money with his own friends. Can you imagine taking permission from your father to make use of your mobile phone, simply because he bought the phone for you? I don’t think it makes sense.
- From the above, it is safe to say that what was used to celebrate the prodigal son’s return belonged to The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother.
- Finally, the height of all ignorance is this. It is safe to conclude that The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother’s portion of inheritance would still be divided between him and his brother.
In conclusion, we are all quick to judge both the prodigal and The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother. This parable is actually what happens in the world we live in today.
Related Post: What You Don’t Know Wouldn’t Hurt You
People who fall into the category of the prodigal son are those who know what they have, they know who they are and they ask for the inheritance because it is their right.
People who fall into the category of The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother are those who do not know who they are and what they have. This affects their level of demand for what is rightfully theirs and they end up living as paupers in their own wealth.
The next question is this – How do you know who you are and what you have, to be able make the right demand?
I’ll start with this illustration below:
You bought an Apple iPhone 11 pro max. You just bought it because that’s what is in vogue, even though you know that the major activities that would be carried out on the phone by you would be phone calls, social media, and taking ‘selfies’ in front of a mirror. Then one day, during your leisure time, you ask yourself what other activity you can do with it. To know what other task you can perform using the phone, you would most likely do any of the following:
- You would go on Google to search the features, specs and so on. Thank God for Google.
- You would look for the phone’s user manual to know its features, specs and others.
- You would begin an ultimate search on the phone. Clicking every icon you see on the phone to know the effect of your selection on the phone. Even though the thought of an ultimate search is fun, what would you know when you make a selection that alters the function of an application on your phone and you don’t know how to resolve it? Wait, let me guess – You’ll ask Google again.
Back to the focus of knowing who you are and what you have to be able to make the right demand.
To know who you are and what you have, go to your Manufacturer. Also, read through and study the manual, which the manufacturer has made available. This manual is the Word. What or Who is the Word?
We hope you’ve learnt something. Your feedback matter to us.
Which of the above stated things to know about ‘The Prodigal Son’s Ignorant Brother’ is your favourite?
Kindly let us know in the comment section. Thank you.